Golden Gate Canyon State Park: Fall Activities for Families
posted by: Mile High Mamas
Golden Gate Canyon State Park is a fantastic destination for family fun in the fall. Located near the city of Golden, this 12,119-acre State Park offers a wide range of activities that everyone can enjoy. Here are some suggestions for family fun in Golden Gate Canyon State Park during the fall.
Also, while you’re enjoying fall in Colorado, be sure to check out these guides Scenic Driving Colorado: Exploring the State’s Most Spectacular Backroads and Ultimate Guide to Fall in Colorado.
Golden Gate Canyon State Park Fall Fun
- Hiking: The park features over 35 miles of trails, varying in difficulty and length. Take a leisurely hike through the colorful fall foliage and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Some popular trails for families include the Forgotten Valley Trail, Coyote Trail, Horseshoe Trail and the Racoon Trail.
- Picnicking: Pack a picnic lunch and head to one of the park’s many picnic areas. Find a cozy spot surrounded by nature and enjoy a meal with your family while taking in the autumn views.
- Wildlife Viewing: Golden Gate Canyon State Park is home to a variety of wildlife, including elk, deer, foxes, and birds. Bring binoculars and explore the park’s meadows and forests to spot some of these animals in their natural habitat.
- Camping: Extend your family adventure by camping overnight at one of the park’s 132 campsites. Fall camping can be a unique experience, with cooler temperatures and the opportunity to witness the changing leaves. The Park offers 4 backcountry shelters and 20 hike-in backcountry tent sites, all are approximately 1-2 miles from the nearest parking. Make sure to check the park’s website for campground availability and reservation information.
- Fishing: If you have fishing enthusiasts in your family, Golden Gate Canyon State Park offers several ponds and streams where you can try your luck. Fish along the shores of one of the five ponds in the park. Fishing is allowed with a valid Colorado fishing license, and you might catch trout, bass, or sunfish.
- Nature Programs: Check the park’s calendar for any nature programs or guided hikes offered during your visit. These programs can provide educational opportunities for both children and adults, enhancing your understanding and appreciation of the park’s natural features.
- Scenic Drives: Take a scenic drive through the park and soak in the breathtaking fall colors. The Peak to Peak Highway, which passes through the area, offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and forests. Panorama Point Scenic Overlook is one of the most sought-after vistas at the park. Accessible by car or on foot, this popular attraction has Continental Divide views that span 100 miles.
Remember to pack appropriate clothing, snacks, and water for your family’s visit. It’s also a good idea to check the park’s website or contact the visitor center for any specific information or updates before your trip. Enjoy your family adventure in Golden Gate Canyon State Park!
Colorado Fall Fun
Photo: Visit Golden. Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. While clicking these links won’t cost you extra money, they help us keep this site up and running. See our disclosure policy.