Celebrate Colorado Day with these fun and free events
posted by: Mile High Mamas
The Centennial State Celebrates its 146th Birthday on Monday, August 1. More than 20 attractions come together at the History Colorado Center (1200 N. Broadway) in Denver to create an epic free-day worthy of this momentous occasion. This free event highlights some of the animals, experiences, cultures and items that help make our state so special. Visitor hours and more information can be found at historycolorado.org/colorado-day.
At the History Colorado Center, a historic day of entertainment awaits guests throughout four floors of interactive exhibits:
- Gold panning and face painting takes place all day
- Chalk artists join an alpaca petting zoo outside, along with mini-horses
- Bernie the Avs mascot, Dinger the Rockies mascot, and Miles the Broncos mascot are all scheduled to entertain guests
- Musical guests include taiko drummers, classical guitarist Flint Datino, and Colorado favorite Brothers of Brass
- Varua Motu Polynesia performs Tahitian dance
- Angel Vigil as El Vaquero demonstrates bullwhip cracking and trick roping
Guest also have free access to exhibits throughout the museum such as:
- Colorado Stories – From the mountains to the plains to the plateaus, Colorado’s people are as diverse as the places they call home. Colorado Stories is a community based suite of exhibits with media- and artifact-rich galleries exploring the many ways Coloradans have created community.
- Denver A-Z – Discover the heart, the art, the whimsy, and the energy of Denver’s people, places, and moments in this lighthearted and immersive exhibit.
- Living West – This highly interactive exhibit explores how Colorado’s environment has shaped human history, while at the same time, people’s choices have shaped the land.
RSVP for this free event here. Parking meters are available along Broadway, and covered parking is available at the Art Garage (1268 Lincoln St.) and the Cultural Center Complex Garage (65 W. 12th Ave.). Several RTD transit routes also serve the museum. The History Colorado Center is located at 1200 North Broadway in the heart of downtown Denver’s Golden Triangle Creative District.
More Activity Ideas
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. While clicking these links won’t cost you extra money, they help us keep this site up and running. See our disclosure policy.