The free toy lending library specializes in educational, creative and instructional toys for kiddos up to the age of eight
The Northwest Denver Toy Library is back in action! The free toy lending library is open Saturdays from 10-noon in its new Edgewater location: 2497 Fenton Street.
Your littles can check out a whole array of items including educational toys, games, puzzles and costumes. It works just like checking out a library book—and is free of charge. You do not need to be Edgewater residents to enjoy this community gem; however, children must be accompanied by an adult.
Started in 1980 as a joint effort among community members, parents and the Smiley Branch of the Denver Public Library, the Northwest Denver Toy Library is an entirely volunteer-run nonprofit. The Toy Library has been in its new home since early 2020 and has incorporated a Little Library in this location—similar to the ones seen on your neighborhood streets.
Here’s how it works:
- Some of the toys are donated but most are bought new. They all must meet federal safety requirements.
- Kids can play with any of the toys on the shelves and if they like, they can take home up to three items for three weeks at a time. When the children are ready to check out their chosen toys, they bring them to the volunteer who then writes down the choices (all piece/parts are numbered so if you find pieces under your couch later, you know where they belong).
- All items are sanitized upon their return to the Northwest Denver Toy Library.
- Funding comes from the Toy Library’s annual yard sale and individual donations. The money raised is used to buy new toys, batteries and supplies needed to keep the program running.
- Pictures of sample inventory are posted on the NW Denver Toy Library Facebook and Instagram pages.
The Northwest Denver Toy Library is a member of the USA Toy Library Association, although toy libraries can be found worldwide. The volunteers use the membership to connect with other toy libraries; they have also had people reach out to them via the Association.
Interested in learning more? Contact volunteers through the NW Denver Toy Library Facebook page or email [email protected].
Colorado Summer Vacation Guide Additional Resources
Where to pull of I-70 when you’re stuck in traffic (fun activities and restaurants)