Avid4 Adventure offers the ultimate summer camp adventures
posted by: Amber Johnson
I am frequently asked about my recommendations for the best outdoor summer camp in the Denver area and without hesitation, I always respond Avid4 Adventure because they do a fantastic job empowering Pre-K – 11th graders to develop a life-long passion for the outdoors. Summer Day Camps are offered in Boulder, Lafayette, Superior, Golden, Highlands Ranch, Washington Park, Stapleton, Greenwood Village, Castle Rock and Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Hadley and Bode attended Avid4 Adventure summer camps for several years and learned to kayak, canoe, stand-up paddleboard, rock climb, bike, hike and thrive in the outdoors. During our latest camp, I was a bit worried my kids would take a been-there, done-that attitude but their experience could not have been farther from the truth; Avid4 Adventure does a fantastic job expanding each year. They also have Overnight Camp, a sleep away camp with two location at Mt. Evans in Evergreen and Windy Peak, a beautiful location near Bailey, Colorado. They also offer all-new backcountry overnight camp experiences that offer smaller group sizes and authentic adventures called Expeditions – be sure the check them out!
What you need to know:
- Avid4 Adventure isn’t just a camp or a school program, it’s an authentic outdoor experience that teaches kids the skills and confidence to climb, bike, paddle, hike and thrive outdoors. Founder Dave Secunda calls it an “empowering experience meant to inspire a lifetime of outdoor participation.”
- Their counselors aren’t just teenagers on summer break–they live and breathe the outdoors.All are age 18+, certified in First Aid and CPR (at minimum) and highly adept at teaching the time-tested curriculum. Most importantly, they’re great with kids and are inspiring role models.
- Avid4 Adventure offers camps that build upon one another and are open to kids of all skill and ability levels. Many participants are first-timers in each sport.The curriculum and inclusive environment gives them the confidence to try new sports within their comfort level.
- One year, my kids did Survival camp. Last year, we did our second round of Adventure Camp where every day is a different adventure—mastering mountain biking, climbing a local crag, hiking a trail, paddling a canoe or kayak. Campers take skills learned one year and then add to them the next, creating a virtuous cycle that teaches not only outdoor skills but also good communication and self-awareness.
- Not only did we receive a “report card” at the end with all the things they learned or are still working on, the counselors took pictures every day so parents could follow vicariously at home through a private photo gallery.
- Avid4 Adventure is American Camp Association accredited and partners include outdoor industry leaders such as Black Diamond, Specialized Bikes, Clif Kid, Leave no Trace and many more.
Avid4 Adventure is an immersive experience that makes a deep imprint on kids, leaving them with lasting skills and new reserves of confidence they can use in all aspects of their lives. Summer 2019 Day and Overnight camps run from May – August. Learn more and sign up at www.avid4.com.