Reflections on My Kids’ 10+ Years of Summers at Kent Denver School
posted by: Guest Blogger
Singing, Dancing, Sculpting, Dribbling, Running, Writing, Painting, Building, Coding, Acting, Laughing, Learning… and Always Having Fun!
An independent school located on an amazing, 200-acre campus at Colorado Boulevard and Quincy Avenue in Cherry Hills Village, Kent Denver School serves 700 students in grades 6-12 during the school year. In the summer months, KDS offers more than 80 outstanding camps to students ages 3 to 18 from across the Denver metro area.
For my family, Summer at Kent Denver has been a mainstay for more than 10 years. My two teens have each participated in more than 20 summer camps and classes since their preschool years. Although their interests have evolved and changed as they have grown up, Summer at Kent Denver always finds ways to inspire, challenge, entertain and engage them.
Our oldest has enjoyed numerous soccer, basketball and tennis camps. He developed a passion for digital art after a summer photography intensive and evolved from ensemble player to leading man over the course of several summer musical theater productions. Our younger son has indulged his Harry Potter obsession in several Hogwarts-inspired camps, honed his skills in several sports, explored engineering and art at STEAM Camp and developed his inner thespian in several plays and musicals.
Summer at Kent Denver’s diversity of offerings—by both topic and age group—has allowed each of our sons to find camps that fit his interests and summer schedules. By participating in camps across the broad range of Arts, Academics, Athletics, Technology and STEM topics offered each summer, both boys have deepened existing interests and found new passions. Most of all, they have had FUN—which I think summer is all about!
I love knowing that my kids are happy and engaged during the summer. They make new friends, enjoy the healthy and delicious lunches in the dining hall, play GaGa Ball during breaks, explore the school’s many outdoor spaces and make memories that last a lifetime.
Registration for Summer 2019 is now underway. Highlights include:
- Theater productions including Aladdin, Jr., The Little Mermaid, Legally Blonde, Newsies (with the Denver Children’s Choir), Magic Treehouse and Wimpy Kid
- More than 40 arts camps where students will learn to sew, paint, draw, sculpt, sing, dance, bake, improvise, and get creative in countless other ways.
- Sports camps: basketball, golf, field hockey, football, lacrosse, soccer, tennis, volleyball, speed/conditioning and a new multi-sport session for ages 7-10.
- Tech-focused camps like coding for robotics, drones and apps, plus exciting new STEAM offerings from Eurekus!
- Academic offerings including “So You Want to Be a Doctor,” creative writing, college essays, middle and high school transition, experimental research, competitive debate and more.
Learn more and register at www.kentdenver.org/summer.
– Lisa M., Denver