Mindbender Mansion at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science
posted by: Amber Johnson
Love brainteasers? Enter “Mindbender Mansion,” a quirky place full of puzzles, brainteasers and interactive challenges that put minds of all ages to the test. This unique, high-energy experience opens at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science on July 20.
“Mindbender Mansion” is a series of thematic “rooms” filled with dozens of puzzle stations and challenges that get your whole body — and brain — moving. The activities combine the best of childhood playfulness, mental acuity and teamwork in a lively atmosphere. The exhibition is free with general admission.
The slightly mysterious and distinctly wacky “Mr. E,” a member of the “Mindbender Society,” greets you in a video introduction and guides you through the mansion. You will be encouraged to gather clues at puzzle stations and secret vaults in the rooms. Once you have gathered enough clues, you will earn a place in the Mindbender Society. Everyone has the chance to document their visit to the mansion with a fun photo opp.
The experience is especially enjoyed by families, groups of friends and school and youth groups as they put their heads together to solve the challenges. Individuals also enjoy personalizing the challenges, such as trying to beat their previous time for putting a puzzle together. All participants are encouraged to think outside the box, identify patterns, use logical reasoning and solve problems from various perspectives.
“Mindbender Mansion” features
- Spelling Fever: Tackle trivia questions by spelling out answers as you jump across an illuminated floor.
- Feeding Frenzy: Fit food shapes into trays on a gradually accelerating conveyor belt.
- Amazing Maze: Join with others to move a marble through a giant tilting maze.
- Flying Machine: You and others move a “flying machine” around a game board, hitting sequenced targets within a set time.
- Dozens of table-top puzzlers: Solve brainteasers using geometric shapes, numbers, rings, and ropes.
- Wacky photo opp: Document your puzzle mastery and earn a place in the Mindbender Society.
- Play area: Puzzles and activities for the youngest guests.
- Exhibition shop: Selection of games and puzzles to continue the fun at home.
“Mindbender Mansion” was produced and toured by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, Portland, Oregon.
The exhibition will be open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Jan. 6, except for Dec. 25. For more information, visit dmns.org/mindbender.