Eleven Springtime Adventures Found at Colorado’s State Parks
posted by: Amber Johnson
Want to enjoy the great outdoors this spring? Colorado’s State Parks have 11 great activities your family will love.
- Hike by the light of the moon and let the stars guide you (and a Volunteer Naturalist) during Roxborough State Park’s Moonlight Hike on May 24, beginning at 7 p.m.
- Raft the roaring whitewaters of the James M. Robb – Colorado River State Park
- Camp in the peaceful, quiet setting of Mancos State Park – or reserve a yurt for the less adventurous on colder spring nights
- Race through Cheyenne Mountain State Park’s short-grass prairies and tall treed forests by mountain bike on the park’s 20-mile trail system
- Test your casting skills by fly-fishing the Uncompahgre River in the Pa-Cu-Chu-Pukat portion of Ridgway State Park
- See how many birds you can spot from the 350 species found at Barr Lake State Park. Don’t stop there. Check out the rest of Colorado’s state parks known for birding
- Zoom through Jackson Lake State Park‘s rolling prairie terrain on the 1.5 mile OHV loop – a track designed with the novice in mind
- Climb one of the 500 technical climbing routes at the Eldorado Canyon State Park
- Swing a club or two or more at Walsenburg Golf Course located in Lathrop State Park
- Try your hand at geocaching, a fun, modern day treasure hunt, by locating the six new caches in John Martin State Park
- Sail, paddle or motor through the vast 15,000 acre reservoir at Navajo State Park
And here’s Tip No. 12: Be sure to visit Staunton State Park, Colorado’s newest 1,720-acre state park near Pine, Colo. From high grassy meadows at 8,100 feet to soaring granite cliffs over 10,000 feet, Staunton State Park’s varied geology, soils, water features, and climate support rare and unexpected plant communities and a rich diversity of wildlife with plenty of trails to explore them.
Be sure to go to www.parks.state.co.us for the official state directory of all Colorado State Parks and outdoor recreation areas, plus events calendar.