7 of the Best Books for First-time Moms
posted by: Guest Blogger
I’m at the age now where most of my peers are having children. Since I was one of the first of our friends to have kids, I have been getting more and more questions lately about pregnancy and parenting for first-time parents.
One of the questions I get asked the most involves my favorite books for moms-to-be!
In some ways, I guess babies do come with instructions!
As for books, I love learning, so I read tons of books. Several were absolutely terrible, some were mediocre, but some of them were lifesavers.
1. My favorite pregnancy book is The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It offers medical information regarding pregnancy along with great illustrations and descriptions, and I preferred it over several other pregnancy books I read.
2. To prepare yourself for crying, colic, and/or the “5 S’s,” I would at least skim The Happiest Baby on the Block. You will probably want to read this during your eighth or ninth month of pregnancy. Don’t completely absorb yourself in pregnancy books and forget to prepare for those first days at home with a newborn!
3. and 4. My two favorite books for infant behavior and trouble-shooting are the two Baby Whisperer books. I wish I had read them earlier rather than waiting until she was 3 months old to read them. It helps you to establish a flexible routine in your baby’s life to give yourself some sanity.
5. The Babywise book is somewhat controversial. It is extremely helpful and provides a good foundation for ToddlerWise, but I would probably recommend the Baby Whisperer if I had to choose between the two for infancy issues.
6. However, no one really talks about what to do once your baby reaches a year old! At that point, I was lost. I would highly recommend PreToddlerWise, and I would start reading it when your baby is around eleven months old.
So, here’s the breakdown of what to read when:
1. Pregnancy: Before, during, and after: The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
2. 8-9 months pregnant, and after delivery–The Happiest Baby on the Block
3. 0-11 months old: The Baby Whisperer books, and/or BabyWise
4. 11-18 months: PreToddlerWise
5. 18-36 months: ToddlerWise
If you have any recommendations for baby or toddler books, please leave a comment below!
As a first-time mom who left her professional career in Texas, Guest Blogger Brooke is learning about parenting–and Colorado–as she goes. She offers ways to be more intentional with your family’s time and resources at her blog The Intentional Momma that includes frugal shopping, toddler activities, travel deals, reading insights, and inexpensive projects.