Instilling Family Traditions (and win a Windex® variety pack!)
posted by: Amber Johnson
I’ve had a question weighing heavily on my mind lately: Am I really teaching my children how to work?
This summer, I asked my children to help me clean our backyard ditch. It was a thankless job and my son, usually an agreeable, happy chap, held an all-out rebellion. First, he was angry and then he cried. When he realized I was not going to back down, he finally gave in.
At first I was appalled, but then I realized the failure was on my part because, despite a handful of weekly chores, I have not taught him how to really work.
Every family has its traditions. In my childhood home, learning to work while having fun doing so was one of ours. One of my earliest memories is spraying messages on the mirrors with Windex® as my mom guessed what they read before wiping them clean. By age 12, I was already employed at her restaurant and learning to manage my own finances. While I may not have appreciated it then, you’d better believe I do now.
In today’s hectic world, it’s easy for some moms to over-schedule their children in recreational activities while allowing them to miss out on other important responsibilities around the home.
My children are still in involved in a few activities, but our experience this summer prompted me to scale back to optimize family time and implement a plan to teach them the value of work–a family tradition I value and want to pass along to my children.
Now my son is learning my childhood tradition of spraying covert messages on mirrors with Windex® as I secretly start him on the path to independence.
And like my mother before me, I hope someday he’ll thank me for it.
Windex® definitely played an important part in my childhood and is considered a household staple in my home. Can you believe that Windex® is turning 75 this year? The iconic brand has truly evolved over time and remains an icon today. What are some of your favorite Windex® products? Is it the original, or maybe one of its multi-surface products? Share your favorite product for a chance to win a Windex® Variety Pack Giveaway. Please go here to enter. Two lucky winners will receive the prize pack. Good luck!
Also, visit the official Windex® Facebook Page to learn more about the history of Windex® and its array of products it has developed over the years. https://www.facebook.com/windex
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT POST OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR, PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Mile High Mamas Windex® Variety Pack Giveaway (“Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia) and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are at least eighteen (18) years of age. Employees of MileHighMamas.com (“Sponsor”), Daniel J. Edelman, Inc., and SC Johnson & Son, Inc. and any of their parents, subsidiaries. affiliated companies and their advertising and promotion agencies, as well as the immediate family (spouses, parents, siblings and children and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and household members, whether or not related of each such employee are not eligible to enter or win. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void in Quebec and where prohibited by law.
2. Agreement to Official Rules: By participating in the Sweepstakes, entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor which are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. Whether an entrant receives a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
3. Timing: The Sweepstakes begins on October 18, 2011 at 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) and ends on October 24, 2011 at 5:00 p.m. PT (“Promotion Period”).
4. How to Enter: During the Promotion Period, there is one (1) way to earn an entry: 1. Enter via the contest entry form, Wufoo, on the Mile High Mamas blog posts made by Amber Johnson describing what is your favorite Windex® product and why.
All online entries must be received (comments posted) by 5:00 p.m. PT on October 24, 2011 to be eligible. Limit one (1) entry per person, per email address and per household, regardless of method of entry. Entries received from any person, email address or household in excess of the stated limitation will be void. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means and entries by any means which subvert the entry process are void. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the blog post and he/she must comply with these Official Rules. Authorized account subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the e-mail address by the Internet Service Provider (ISP), on-line service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses.
Entrants must comply with the terms and conditions
Blog posting must (i) be entrant’s own original work and reflect the true opinions and experiences of the applicable entrant, (ii) be in English, (iii) cannot be previously published or submitted in connection with any other promotion, (iv) be in keeping with the Sponsor’s image and (v) not be offensive or inappropriate, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, nor can it defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or property rights or any other third party rights. Sponsor reserves the right to remove any blog post and void the associated entry that it determines, in its sole discretion, is offensive or inappropriate, not in keeping with Sponsor’s image or that is otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules.
By posting a blog post, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor may obtain blog posts under this Sweepstakes or have developed on its own or through other third parties’ ideas and material and blog posts that may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to others submitted under this Sweepstakes and/or other promotions sponsored by the Sponsor or submitted for other reasons on the website, and entrant waives any and all claims he/she may have had, may have, and/or may have in the future, that any other blog post accepted, reviewed and/or used by Sponsor may be similar to his/her blog post.
5. Winner Determination: Potential winners of prizes will be chosen from all eligible entries received in a random drawing on Wufoo.com to be held within five (5) business days after the close of entries by Sponsor whose decision is final and binding in all matters. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
6. Winner Requirements: Potential winners will be notified by email on or about October 25, 2011. Potential winners will be required to sign and return to Administrator, within twenty four (24) hours of date of issuance an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law). Failure to return all required documents within the specified time period, the inability to contact the potential winner within a reasonable time period, the return of the prize or prize notification as undeliverable or non-compliance with these Official Rules will result in forfeiture of prize.
If the potential winner is a resident of Canada, he/she must correctly answer a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question administered by telephone without assistance or mechanical or electronic aid in order to receive the prize. If the selected Canadian potential winner cannot be reached within a reasonable time period (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion), he/she may be disqualified, and, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, the prize will be forfeited.
Winner, by acceptance of prize, except where legally prohibited, grants permission for Sponsor and its designees to use his/her name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
7. Prizes: A prize package including Windex® product samples (Windex® Original, Windex® Multi-Surface Vinegar and Windex® Electronic Wipes). Approximate Retail Value of prize is $10.97 USD and will be given to two (2) selected winners for an approximate Retail Value total of $21.94 USD. Prize is non-transferable and no substitution or cash-redemption is permitted except by Sponsor, in its sole discretion, which reserves the right to substitute the prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value. Winner is responsible for all federal, state and local taxes (including income and withholding taxes) and any other costs and expenses associated with prize receipt and/or use not specified herein as being provided. Prize is awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Sponsor. All prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
8. Release: Entrants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Daniel J. Edelman, Inc., S.C. Johnson & Son and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliate companies and advertising and promotion agencies and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use or misuse of the prize.
9. Ownership/Use of Blog Posts: By submitting a blog post, each entrant agrees Sponsor shall own the blog post submitted (including all rights embodied therein) and that it and its designees (including S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.) may exploit, edit, modify, and distribute the blog post and all elements of such blog post, including, without limitation, the names and likenesses of any persons or locations mentioned therein (including the use of the blog post for promotional purposes in connection with this Sweepstakes and for the promotion of Windex® products, except where prohibited by law), in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity without compensation, permission or notification to entrant or any third party.
10. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Sweepstakes, or any part of it for any reason, including if virus, bugs, worms, unauthorized intervention, or any fraud, technical failures or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Sweepstakes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In the event of cancellation, Sponsor reserves the right to select the winner from among all remaining non-suspect entries received as of time as such cancellation. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or those of any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and all associated entries will be void. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Twitter and Facebook are not affiliated in any way with the Sweepstakes.
11. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information in any Sweepstakes-related materials, whether caused by entrant, printing or typographical errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes; (2) lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines, or failed computer, satellite, telephone, cable, or network/computer hardware or software, or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Sweepstakes; (4) technical, mechanical, network , electronic, computer, human or other errors which may occur, including any errors that may occur in connection with the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of entries or blog posts, the announcement of the winner or in any other Sweepstakes-related materials; or (5) late, lost, incomplete, misdirected, delayed, garbled, illegible, postage-due, undeliverable, damaged or stolen entries or blog posts or mail. Released Parties are not responsible for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, accessing or downloading information in connection with this Sweepstakes. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes.
12. Winner’s Name: Winner will be available after October 26, 2011 at MileHighMamas.com. The winner’s name will be available until on or about January 1, 2012.
13. Sponsor: Amber Johnson, MileHighMamas.com
*This post is sponsored by Windex®, but my review and opinions are my own.