M&M Math (or Chex Mix or Fruit Loops)
Sort, count, add and compare . . . with food! Okay, m&m’s aren’t very healthy – think of the motivation to snack and count at the same time. Or you could try these activities with Chex Mix, jelly beans, Fruit Loops, or trail mix. (Am I on a food kick or what?)
Grab your m&m bag and try these fun math activities.
- Sort the m&ms into color groups.
- Draw circles around the groups.
First and second graders
- Estimate how many total and in each group
- Sort the groups
- Compare – Greater than? Less than? Equal?
- Add the groups together
- Subtract one color group from the total amount
Third and up
- Estimate total and in each group
- Sort into groups
- Divide the total into equal groups. Two groups, three groups, four groups