Foodie Friday: Healthy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
posted by: Amber Johnson
Who else is trying to revamp their eating in 2017? I’m not calling my vow to eat healthier a “diet” because the moment I do, a sense of deprivation sets in. Two years ago, I attempted the Whole 30 diet and lasted four miserable days before switching to a less restrictive Paleo eating plan and saw a lot of success. And meat.
Now, I’m back at it while trying to avoid sugar and unhealthy carbs. My key to success this go-around is to fill my fridge and belly with lots of delicious foods, like this Creamy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup recipe I adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen. The coconut milk makes it creamy and believe it or not, certain kinds of bacon are Paleo-approved. I first cooked six strips of bacon and I think what sent this recipe over-the-top was sauteing the vegetables in bacon grease. The soup was so flavorful that I skipped using the bacon as a topping.
And here’s the true evidence that this soup is great: My family hates sweet potatoes but loves this soup. Much to my dismay, sweet potatoes are boycotted every year at Thanksgiving so I secretly find ways to hide them in chili and tacos. With this soup, I no longer have to!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large celery stocks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried or fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1) In a Dutch Oven or a large pot, cook the bacon or medium heat until slightly crispy. Place on a plate with a paper towel and dice. Keep 3 Tbsp of oil in the pot.
- 2) Add chopped onion and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the celery and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- 3) Stir in peeled and diced sweet potatoes, thyme leaves and 2 tsp salt. Add 4 cups chicken broth, partially cover and simmer 20 min or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Cool slightly then puree soup until smooth.
- 4) Return soup to the pot and stir in coconut milk. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- 5) Serve with chopped bacon bits.
Best Skiing Deal in Colorado: Epic SchoolKids + Epic Pass Combo for Families
Tips to Avoid What Will Soon Become the Summer Scramble for Many Parents (camp discount!)
Deals: SIX free museums for Dia del Nino, summer camp discounts and more!
New Robonology Exhibit at the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum