Summer in Arvada: 20+ Activities for Your Family!
posted by: Guest Blogger
We welcome you to Arvada! Located just 15 minutes from Downtown Denver, Arvada manages to balance the business and commerce of a major metropolitan area with eclectic, small-town charm. As you’ll see, we have lots to offer residents and visitors alike. So grab your hiking boots, fishing pole, and dancing shoes and come play with us. We promise there’s something for everyone, and that you’ll soon understand why Arvada was named one of America’s most livable cities by msn.com in 2015. Arvada: a wonderful place to live, work and play!
Every summer, Arvada offers tons of activities for residents and visitors alike. Rain or shine, spend a fun day in Arvada!
What to do under the Colorado bluebird skies
- Head down to the Apex Center for a fun day of swimming. The Apex Center offers two public pools: the Secrest Pool at 6820 W. 66th Avenue and the Lake Arbor Pool at 7451 W. 83rd Way. Stop by between 12 pm – 6 pm daily to wear off some energy (or soak in the sun.)
- Take a free walking tour of Olde Town Arvada! After finding gold in Ralston Creek in 1850, Arvada flourished. Learn about Arvada’s rich history while experiencing the vibrant shops and restaurants of Olde Town (and don’t forget to stop by Scrumptious at 7523 Grandview Avenue for some unique candy and delicious ice cream). Come to the Visitor’s Center for more information.
- Looking for a secluded national park feel without having to make the drive? Explore Two Ponds Wildlife Refuge, the smallest urban unit in the National Wildlife Refuge System. Hike a hundred feet in and you’ll forget Downtown Denver is 20 minutes away! Explore Tuesday through Saturday between 8 am and 4 pm.
- Don’t let the summer heat get you down! Visit one of our free splash pads for a refreshing, fun time in the water. Check one out in Olde Town or at Ralston Park.
- Do you love biking? The Ralston Creek Trail extends 13.6 miles through some of Arvada’s most scenic areas.
- Enjoy some local Colorado artists and wander around the free Sculpture Garden at the Arvada Center for the Arts & Humanities.
- Head down to the Arvada/Blunn Reservoir to fish, enjoy a picnic, or just enjoy the incredible views.
- Thinking of heading to Arvada on a Saturday? Wait until the second of every month, when Olde Town holds its free 2nd Saturdays Festival, which includes an awesome Kid’s Zone. Explore different local vendors while your kids get their faces painted, jump on inflatables, and more.
Don’t let the rain slow you down
Even in the rain, Arvada has plenty of activities to occupy your family’s time.
- The one-of a-kind Cussler Museum is home to a unique collection of cars from across the ages. Kids are only $5!
- Keep learning outside of school with a fun, unique class at Majestic View Nature Center. Majestic View offers all sorts of classes throughout the summer, but we think “Beekeeping Up Close” sounds extra fun. Visit www.arvada.org/nature for the full schedule and to register.
- The Apex Center has more than just a pool. Bring a group and book a time to play.
- Bubble Soccer at the Apex Field House, 5724 Oak Street. Bubble soccer is a great, thrilling activity for kids and adults. E-mail email@example.com for more information or to book your session.
- Head down to the Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities for free galleries (this summer, it’s all about watercolors) and the Arvada History Museum. Check out how Arvada’s founders lived, and let your kids explore the world of local, Colorado art. The galleries are open 9:00 am – 7:30 pm Monday – Friday.
- If the History Museum is a hit, head down to the Arvada Flour Mill in Olde Town. Call (303) 431-1261 to schedule a tour.
- Grab lunch or dinner at Steuben’s Arvada for a delicious meal for mom and dad, and options the kids will love! AND they get a free ice cream cone with their kid’s meal! If Steuben’s is too busy, hit Homegrown Tap & Dough for delicious artisanal pizza and a great, outdoor patio.
We hope to see you in Arvada this summer. Don’t forget to stop by the Visitor’s Center at 7305 Grandview Avenue for more recommendations.