Adoptive Families: Have You Signed Up For Adoption Camp Yet?
posted by: Lori Holden
We in Colorado are fortunate to have a variety of adoption camps held right here each summer. Heritage Camps for Adoptive Families has been forging connections within and among adoptive families for 25 years. Which camp is just right for you?
- African Carribbean, June 9-12
- Cambodian, July 14-17
- Central Asian, July 21-24
- Chinese, Sept 2-5 (Fraser, CO)
- Chinese II, June 23-26 (Denver, CO)
- Domestic Adoption Camp, August 4-7
- Eastern European, July 21-24
- Filipino/Indonesian/Pacific Islander, August 4-7
- Indian Nepalese, July 7-10
- Indonesian/Pacific Islander, August 4-7
- Korean, June 16-19
- Latin American, June 23-26
- Russian/Eastern European/Central Asian, July 21-24
- Pacific Islander, August 4-7
- Thai, July 14-17
- Vietnamese, July 14-17
- Adult Adoptee Retreat, July 29-21
My family has already registered for this year — it’s our third in a row. The first year, both my kids and I made new friends — people who know what it’s like to be in an adoptive family. Each subsequent year, we look forward to seeing our new friends, doing campy activities, and learning more about identity and the ages and stages of growing up.
As an adoptive mom, I get a lot from the special speakers brought in to help me navigate the sometime turbulent waters of adoptive parenting. (Here’s a sneak peek at the adult workshops for Domestic Adoption Camp.) Topics may include behavior and nutrition, forging better connections with your kids, getting the support you need at school, what you need to know about search and reunion, transracial issues, culture exploration and other subjects adoptive parents want to know more about.
Plus, simultaneously, the kiddos are bonding with each other and learning more and more about their own journeys, helped along by counselors who have walked their path.
Registrations deadlines are coming up soon, so check into your camp today!
Lori Holden, mom of a teen daughter and a teen son, blogs from Denver at LavenderLuz.com. Her book, The Open-Hearted Way to Open Adoption: Helping Your Child Grow Up Whole, is available in paperback, hard cover, audio and e-book versions. It makes a thoughtful anytime gift for the adoptive families in your life.