Win a FREE 6-week Gymnastics Class From Mountain Kids! (a $183 value)
**CONTEST CLOSED. CONGRATULATIONS TO LISA RABE!**
The average child in the United States needs at least 60 minutes of physical activity each day, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They also state that 17% of children ages 2-19 are considered obese. If you are like me, these statistics are scary. I want my children to grow up healthy and happy. I want them to be confident and thrive.
Since my children were tiny babies, I tried to find classes that would push them physically, including challenging their balance, coordination and ability to move. I want my daughter to have a healthy body image and feel powerful in her skin. So, seven months ago, my daughter Kensley started taking a gymnastics/dance class at Mountain Kids in Louisville. I have photos of myself, when I was three, in a fluffy red tutu preparing for my first dance recital. My daughter at the age of three is now doing the exact same thing. There is something magical about watching my daughter dance and move across the floor with such grace. There is also something magical about seeing her listen to and respect another adult, keeping in mind that she’s three.
Besides the fact that they can get my daughter to listen and follow directions while treating her like family, why else do I love about Mountain Kids?
1. I wanted a place with an outstanding reputation. Mountain Kids has been in business for 35 years. They are a generational establishment, in business since 1976 and are still family owned and operated.
2. They offer a variety of classes designed for children ages walking and up. Mountain Kids has just partnered with two other businesses to bring you infant classes as well as music classes. Perfect if you have a baby and big kid like I do.
3. I wanted a place where my daughter could learn correct gymnastics and dance techniques.
4. The classes are all at least 45 minutes in length, giving your children ample time to really get involved.
5. I wanted a place that had skilled instructors that enjoyed working with young children.
Some other things that Mountain Kids offers:
1. Transportation from local area schools.
2. Kids Night Out for ages 4 and up.
3. Summer camps with field trips to area attractions.
4. A lunch bunch program giving you an extra hour of mom-time that can be added to your child’s morning class.
5. Birthday party packages.
My hope is that enrolling her in classes at such a young age will help foster a love for being physically active. Maybe gymnastics and dance won’t be her love, but maybe they will. I hope that these classes will set her up for a future filled with confidence.
What are the downfalls of Mountain Kids? The prices are a little high compared to recreation center classes due to their specialized instruction and facility. Also, I would love to see some after lunch classes as my daughter no longer takes naps.
Find out more information about Mountain Kids on their website or Facebook page.
ContestMountain Kids wants to give one lucky Mile High Mama reader a free 6-week gymnastics class worth up to $183. Please go here to enter. Contest deadline is April 27, 2012.
Guest blogger Amanda is a mom of three little ones ages 5, 3, and 1. She enjoys watching the world grow with her children, reading and spending time outside. Amanda is the publisher at BoulderMomsConnect.com, your resource for KIDS ages embryo-5 and their families in the Boulder area.