Young food critics cast their vote at Destination Hotels & Resorts (checkout their kid-friendly recipes)
Honorable mention already selected: Berry Delicious Cobbler
The winner is…Multigrain Mac & Cheese by Lorin Cook!
For details on the tasting, follow this link.
Top Three Recipes
1. PB&B Wrap (Going Bananas)
By Lisa Daristotile
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (natural PB, smooth or chunky)
5-6 slices of banana’s (1/4 inch thick)
1/2 Tbsp Honey
1 whole wheat tortilla wrap (8 inch diameter)
3Tbsp Granola or Grapenut cereal
Optional: ground cinnamon, flax meal, wheat germ, other nutritional boosters
1. Optional: if you want to bump up the nutrition of the peanut butter, now would be a good time to add cinnamon, flax meal or wheat germ; mix in a bowl.
2. Spread peanut butter over the tortilla leaving about 1 inch border around the edges.
3. Add granola or grapenut cereal, top it off with bananas and drizzle with honey.
4. Wrap up the tortilla, cut in half. Suggested sides: carrot sticks, fresh fruit, trail mix, yogurt. Can substitute apple slices for banana’s.
2. Multigrain Mac & Cheese
By Lorin Cook
1 (8oz) package of elbow muligrain pasta
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons whole wheat bread flour
1 cup milk
1 cup half & half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups good quality cheddar cheese
1/4 – 1/2 cup Cornflake Crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cook package of macaroni in salted water for 10 minutes and drain. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan melt butter
4. Mix flour with salt and pepper and add it to the melted butter. Wisk until blended
5. Mix milk and 1/2 & 1/2 and pour that into saucepan, stirring constantly.
6. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 2 minutes . Keep stirring!!
7. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 7 minutes more. Keep stirring!!
8. Add shredded cheddar cheese and simmer a few more minutes until cheese melts.
9. Turn off the flame
10. Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with cheese mixture
11. Spray baking dish with non stick spray and transfer macaroni to dish.
12. Sprinkle with Cornflake Crumbs
13. Bake 20 minutes until the top is bubbling and golden.
3. Funky Monkey French Toast
By Mandy Rivers
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
8 pieces whole wheat bread
½ cup low-sugar peanut butter
3 bananas, sliced
3 tablespoons butter
1. Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
2. Spread each slice of bread with peanut butter.
3. Assemble sandwiches by placing banana slices between two pieces of bread.
4. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat.
5. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, place in skillet and cook until golden brown (about 2 minutes each side)
6. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Serve with low-sugar syrup on the side.
Runner Up – Honorable Mention
1. Berry Delicious Cobbler
By Wendy Stillman
Mixed Berries: Strawberries, Blackberries, blueberries
Ezekiel Cereal (original in the orange box)
Yogurt – Vanilla flavor (can also use Soy or Goat yogurt)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Wash berries and chop strawberries into small pieces.
3. Choose any size baking dish. Spray bottom of dish with a very light coat of cooking spray.
4. Make a 1/4″ bottom layer using the dry Ezekiel cereal.
5. Next, put a layer of the berries on top of the cereal, straw/black/blue-berries to cover the bottom layer of cereal.
6. Next, Layer the Yogurt on the berries, about 1″ thick. Sprinkle Nutmeg and Cinnamon on the Yogurt layer and then add more berries on top of the yogurt and spices.
7. Last layer is the dry cereal again, cover all the berries and Yogurt showing with the dry Ezekiel cereal, sprinkle more cinnamon and nutmeg on top of this cereal layer.
8. Use about a 1/2 Cup of the Soy milk and pour around on the top of the final layer of dry cereal you just made.
9. Place dish in the oven for about 20 mins, or until top layer starts to brown and berries begin to ooze up through the top layer.
Other Recipes Received
1. Tahoe Mountain Muffins
By Christin Wilcox
4 1/2 Cups Kellogg’s Original All Bran Cereal
1 1/3 Cups boiling water
3 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
2 3/4 Cups low-fat milk
1 Cup applesauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. fresh grated orange zest
1 3/4 Cups whole wheat flour
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup sugar
3 3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 Cup Craisins or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix the vinegar and low-fat milk in a bowl and let stand for 5 min.
3. Combine and stir well the All Bran and boiling water and set aside.
4. In another bowl, mix the eggs, applesauce, vanilla and orange zest, add the milk-vinegar mix and then add the sugar.
5. Combine the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt.
6. Add the All-Bran mixture to the liquid ingredients.
7. Mix the dry ingredients just until incorporated and then add the craisins.
8. Bake in a greased muffin pan or a greased 8×11 cake pan for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the muffin.
2. 100% Chance of Meatballs…Sliders
By Dolores McKay
3/4 Cup: Italian-style panko bread crumbs
2 T fresh chopped parsley
1 t fresh minced rosemary
1 t fresh minced thyme
2 t mince roasted garlic
4 T grated Romano cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 T olive oil
3 T ketchup, salt and pepper to taste
1 lb ground buffalo meat
Jar/can organic pizza sauce
24 Hawaiin mini rolls, sliced provolone cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 with rack placed in center.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment.
3. In large bowl, combine first ten ingredients – Mix well.
4. Add ground buffalo and combine the mixture with your hands.
5. Form into 24 meatballs and arrange on baking sheet.
6. Bake for 15 approximately 15 minutes.
7. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut rolls in half and place 1 meatball on each bottom half of roll.
8. Spoon warmed pizza sauce over meatballs and place provolone cheese over sauce.
9. Replace top of roll on top and serve!
10. Variation: For extra savory sliders, simmer meatballs in pizza sauce for 10 minutes before assembling…extra yummy.